Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Production Hell

Well, the post is late, but I feel the need to do it anyway.  Locations have fallen through, and ended up using my apartment for one of the locations--which works, but requires a lot of moving furniture and angles.  The storyboard calls for 167 shots.  We filmed a good portion this weekend, leaving about half of the scenes for the crucial "creepy" location I secured after much negotiation.  I receive a phone call from the coordinating personnel at the location, and can only use it Fri or Sun.  Major blow: principal actress is out of town Sat night through Sun, and unable to travel (location is 2 hours south) on Fri.  Looks like we'll have to go with a much less atmospheric location, much to my great displeasure.  Another blow: we're going for a very dark, claustrophobic feel, and I, in my brilliance, managed to get the dark part down...TOO dark.  Going to have to reshoot several major scenes.  Also having trouble securing the dog again for the remainder of filming (Thurs. and Fri., with some Sat. morning).  Add in two jobs and the CMD/IDEE Webisode project picking up, shit's getting deep.  This is my first priority though, and if necessary, I will BUILD a location and STEAL a dog (relax, I'll probably give it back.)  The greatest notion I am taking from this experience is that I cannot wait to do this in a situation in which everyone involved does this for a living and this is their only priority.  (That statement is not directed at Geoff or Lyss--who have been and are outstanding to work with--but a general statement referring to scheduling,  securing locations, equipment, etc.  It's so much more difficult to pull off a quality project with minimal time, few personnel, even less resources and no money, especially when you must divide those resources and time among other endeavours.)

No comments: