Sunday, January 13, 2008

Creepy... for sure.

I met with my partner earlier this week -- and I think we'll be able to produce a great product. The script leaves a lot of headroom for the director, so I think I'm going to take a strange dark angle with this. I want a very depressing tone, a lot of blood, and great great sound design and odd saturation effects - the product is all about mood.

We've got it cast, we've got a location, and we've got an animal - I think. I'm actually more worried about physical production than I am post-production, which I can typically do within hours. My strong point is post production, weak point is production. But I've done enough with Something Else that I expect a good product.

One thing that I'm worried about is getting the equipment I want. I want to shoot this HDV and I want the DP lights. For some reason, everything I shoot on the PD-150s, no matter how well I light it, doesn't turn out the way I want it. The camera is terrible with color, the resolution is bad, and the DV-format cripples what could be a good standard-definition project. That's why I like HDV. HDV isn't a good alternative for HD, but rather a good alternative for cheap 10-bit SD; I can get the color and resolution I want, I don't get the DV grain that ruins projects, and the final project can be broadcast ready... not so amateurish. So hopefully I'll be able to pull off getting a better camera.

No comments: